Christianity is more than just religion its about a relationship with our father. The bible clearly tells us that God is our father and we are his children. God is mentioned as our father about 265 times in the bible. This is mostly in the new testament because through Christ we are given a new identity and adopted into the family of God.
“Therefore, you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ” ~ Galatians 4:6 – 7 (NLT)
“You received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father” ~ Romans 8:15 (NLT)
The word “Father” can mean different things to different people. For some, a thought of a Father can be associated with love, warm memories, family vacations and a comforter. For others, it brings images of pain, hurt, rejection and abandonment. That is why it is so important to understand that God is not just a Father but a Good Father; someone who is worthy of our trust and who we know will not fail us where others have.
God, as our Father can be easy to accept, but accepting how much he loves us can be difficult. Shame and guilt can stop us from accepting the truth that God loves us. It is so easy for sin to make us feel unworthy and undeserving of God’s love, but all have sinned and fall short of His glory (Romans 3:23). No matter how much we run away from God, He still loves us. You just have to remind yourself of the promises of God and what he gave up just to have you close to Him again.
“For God so Loved the World that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” ~ John 3:16
Examples of God as a Good Father:
- God’s love redeems us from every guilt and shame, and no matter how many times we fall God will always be there to pick us up. This is demonstrated by the story of the prodigal son. Just as the father longed for his son’s return and waited for him at the gate, so does God desperately long for you. He is standing, waiting to wrap you in his love and restore you of everything that you have lost.
“So, he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him” ~ Luke 15:20
- God pursues us like lost sheep until we are found. His love never gives up on us.
“There is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!”
- We can rely on God to take care of us.
“What is the price of five sparrows–two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows” ~ Luke 12:6-7 (NLT)
- He knows every hair you have on your head and he has your name written on the palm of his hands (Isiah 49:16).
- God is always watching over you, in your bad times and in the good. (Psalms 121:4)
The knowledge that God is our father and that we are his children can transform your life forever. Tell yourself that over and over and believe it. The love of our father has no end.
Stay Blessed x